Today’s Reading: Ephesians 4:1-16
In Ephesians 4:1 Paul urges us Christians “to lead a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called.” This means that we should recognize how much our place in God’s favour deserves from us. The focus is not on our worth but on the worth of our calling. If we go back to chapters 1 through 3, we can catch a glimpse of the calling Paul means.
- 1:4, God chose us for himself before the world was created.
- 1:5, he predestined us to be his children—and that means heirs of all our Father owns!
- 1:7, he sent Christ to atone for all our trespasses.
- 1:13, he sealed us with his Holy Spirit to preserve us forever.
- 2:7, he promises to spend an eternity increasing our joy in the immeasurable riches of his grace.
- 3:10, he has given us the mission as a church to display his wisdom, even to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places.
In other words, the privilege and purpose of our Christian calling is greater than any other privilege and purpose.