Today’s Reading: Luke 22:14-34
Key Verses: “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.’” Luke 22:31-32
Young William Wilberforce was discouraged one night in the early 1790s after another defeat in his 10-year battle against the slave trade in England. Tired and frustrated, he opened his Bible and began to leaf through it. A small piece of paper fell out and fluttered to the floor. It was a letter written by John Wesley shortly before his death. Wilberforce read it again: “Unless the divine power has raised you up… I see not how you can go through your glorious enterprise in opposing that (abominable practice of slavery), which is the scandal of religion, of England, and of human nature. Unless God has raised you up for this very thing, you will be worn out by the opposition of men and devils. But if God be for you, who can be against you? Are all of them together stronger than God? Oh, be not weary of well-doing. Go on in the name of God, and in the power of His might.”
Did you notice in today’s reading how Christ knew every detail about Peter’s denial? Jesus said, “Peter before the rooster crows this day, you will say three times that you don’t know me.” Christ is aware of the attacks on your faith even before you are. You can’t possibly be going through something alone when He is aware of your circumstances. God can’t possibly be uncaring if He is concerned enough to pay attention to the details of your life. Jesus informed Simon Peter that the attack was coming. Christ’s awareness of the attack on Simon’s faith was in detail. There isn’t a single detail of your testing that Christ doesn’t already know about!
Psalms 37:23b (NLT) The steps of the godly are directed by the LORD. He delights in every detail of their lives. Circle “every detail.” There isn’t anything about your life that God doesn’t know about and there certainly isn’t anything that He doesn’t care about.
God doesn’t fail. He’s always interested in the details. He wants you to know that you can trust Him by telling you that He is watching every detail of your struggle. He knows that the attack on your faith is difficult. He knows more about what’s going on than you do – just like Jesus knew more about the struggle Simon Peter was facing than Simon knew himself.
Some days will be hard, but remember God is in control. We started today’s devotional with a note from John Wesley, so we will finish with a glimpse into his diary.
From the diary of John Wesley. . .
- Sunday, A.M., May 5 Preached in St. Anne’s. Was asked not to come back anymore.
- Sunday, P.M., May 5 Preached in St. John’s. Deacons said, “Get out and stay out.”
- Sunday, A.M., May 12 Preached in St. Jude’s. Can’t go back there, either.
- Sunday, A.M., May 19 Preached in St. Somebody Else’s. Deacons called a special meeting and said I couldn’t return.
- Sunday, P.M., May 19 Preached on the street. Kicked off street.
- Sunday, A.M., May 26 Preached in the meadow. Chased out of meadow as a bull was turned loose during service.
- Sunday, A.M., June 2 Preached out at the edge of town. Kicked off the highway.
- Sunday, P.M., June 2 Afternoon, preached in a pasture. Ten thousand people came out to hear me.