Today’s Reading: 2 Kings 17:1-18:12 (additional reading: Psalm 148:1-14 and Proverbs 18:6-7 )
Key Verses: “Hezekiah trusted in the Lord, the God of Israel. There was no one like him among all the kings of Judah, either before him or after him. He held fast to the Lord and did not stop following him; he kept the commands the Lord had given Moses. And the Lord was with him; he was successful in whatever he undertook.” 2 Kings 18:5-7
Everyone wants victory in life. Most people want to be successful in what they do. Athletes, train for years to be victorious on the field or in the arena. Lawyers, go to school for years and they spend hours on each case reading law in the hopes of winning a victory in the courtroom. The truth there is much loss, for every team holding the winner’s trophy there are many more who do not and For every win in the courtroom, there is a corresponding loss. Life is far from a game and yet there are still winners and losers.
In today’s reading, we read of King Hezekiah and the text said “AND THE LORD WAS WITH HIM, HE WAS SUCCESSFUL IN WHATEVER HE UNDERTOOK…” How would you like that to be said of you, that God was with you and that you were successful in whatever you undertook? How did Hezekiah do it? What was his secret to success? What did he do that brought him success after success?
There are so many lessons from his life we can learn – so take some moments to read through the text again. But one of the first things we will learn is:
1) ‘He overcame his past’ – King Hezekiah had far from a perfect past, but he didn’t allow this to determine his future. He broke the cycle and so can you.
2) ‘He chose Godly mentors’ – There are many people we allow in our lives, Hezekiah had an ungodly physical father but he found a Godly spiritual mentor in Isaiah and this made a massive change to his life. We need to find the right mentors for ourselves.
3) ‘Trust God in all situation’ – Whether it is a hard childhood, character problems or being outnumbered by an army – we can always trust in God and this it the biggest part of Hezekiah successfulness. Wherever we find ourselves physically we can be of success when we are in God spiritually.
- What does success look like to you?
- How can you learn from the life of Hezekiah and put these principles into practice?
Father, Thank You that You are faithful and the source of all true success. Help us to seek You first and to trust You. In Jesus’ name, Amen