Today’s Reading: 2 Chronicles 26:1-28:27
God have given us a promise, that if we seek Him earnestly, we shall be rewarded.
This truth was proven in Uzziah’s life in our reading today. Uzziah became one of the most successful and powerful kings in Judah’s history. He reigned for 52 long years, the longest of the 8 good kings in the Southern Kingdom. And was only 16 years old when he was made king.
Uzziah took the initiative to seek God. The word ‘sought’ appears twice in verse 5. He was conscious of his weakness and his inability to rule Judah rightly in his own strength. This humble recognition of need was the key to his success. He knew he needed God’s help. And the Lord kept His part of the promise – He will reward those who seek Him.
Uzziah had unparalleled success –
- • He was able to overcome his enemies – the Philistines, the Arabs, and the Meunites.
- • Even the powerful Ammonites came to pay tribute.
- • His fame spreads as far as Egypt.
- • He was the first biblical king to be credited as “very powerful”
- He had exceptional wisdom – [read 2 Chron 26:9-15].
- • He built towers at strategic locations to keep watch against attacks and fortified the walls.
- • He dug cisterns to provide water for the livestock and cultivated the fertile lands.
- • He trained his army and organized them into divisions (battalions).
- • In Israel’s history, only described as so powerful.
Do you remember what Jesus said? ‘Seek first the kingdom of God and then all these other things shall be added to you’. A successful life starts with seeking God.