E.W. Kenyon said: Fasting and long hours of prayer do not build faith…..reading books about faith and men of faith and their exploits stirs in the heart a deep passion for faith, but does not build faith. The Word alone is the source of faith.
Andrew Murray said: Little of the Word with little prayer is death to the spiritual life. Much of the Word with little prayer gives a sickly life. Much of prayer with little of the Word gives more life, but without steadfastness. A full measure of the Word and prayer each day gives a healthy and powerful life.
Would you like your prayers to be more powerful? Pray the Scriptures. Hebrews 4:12 says that God’s Word is alive and powerful, sharper than a two-edged sword. When we speak and pray the Scriptures, we are coming into agreement with God, and His power is released to answer our prayers.
Yesterday we seen some prayer of the Apostles in the Bible. Praying the scriptures will increase your spiritual growth. You actually learn what God says about certain situations, and by praying His Word you will see His results. Many people have testified that just by praying the healing scriptures they have been healed, physically as well as mentally.
Jesus promised that if God’s words (thoughts) abide in us then we would have power in prayer. The Word abides in us as we meditate on the Scripture and pursue obedience. (John. 15:7-8).
So how does praying the Word help us:
- God introduces His will in the Word. When we pray the Word we pray the will of God and when we pray according to the will of God, the Word says our prayers will be answered. (1 John 5:14-15)
- Books provide knowledge and insight, but it is only when we read the Word that you come to faith. When we pray the Word, faith increases in our hearts. (Rom.10:17)
- The Word/Scripture reveals God’s priorities. When we pray according to the Word we learn what these priorities are and then we will be able to adapt our lives according to these priorities.
- The Word has authority. When God the Father created the universe He did it through His Son, the Word. The Word spoke a word and there was light and life and people and heavenly bodies. When we proclaim the Word, it becomes a declaration in the spiritual kingdom – the Word still has the same power. When we call on the living Word, it has the power to give life and to re-create.
- The Word teaches us about God – His character, being, power, abilities and characteristics. When we understand God better we are able to pray with more faith. Faith is as strong as the person in whom you believe.