Today’s Reading: Exodus 23:14-25:40 (additional reading Psalm 30:1-12 and Proverbs 7:24-27)
Key Verse: “I will drive them out a little at a time (little by little) until your population has increased enough to take possession of the land.” Exodus 23:30.
In these passage of scriptures, God was instructing the children of Israel on how they would defeat their enemies to possess and take possesion over the promised land in Canaan. God told the children of Israel they would not defeat their enemies and take possession of the promised land all in one day, all in one week, in one month, nor all in one year. But little by little, in due time by the power of God. The children of Israel would prevail over their enemies and posses the promise land in Canaan but it would not be immediate.
Oftentimes we get so caught by the bigs things in life, we forget that to get to the big thing; we need to pass through a lot of small things. A simple example of this could be a planned diet. If you were planning to lose weight 20 pounds this year, you won’t be able to or it wouldn’t be healthy to lose it all in one day, one week, or in one month. But if you work hard at losing your weight, if you exercise, and eat right, little by little, those pounds will fall off and decrease little by little.
Another example could be to be become debt free by paying off all of your credit card debt or whatever debt you may have, you may not be able to pay off all of your debt in one day, one week, or in one month. But as you discipline yourself with your money management and withdraw from buying everything that takes your fancy, little by little, you will pay off your debt, in due time, become debt free.
The same is true of renovating a new house, fixing up an old car, sewing a new dress, advancing towards a promotion, establishing a marriage and the list could go on. Not only does the little by little principle applies in the physical, but it also applies in the spiritual. Little by little, if you start praying on a daily basis, if you start reading God’s word, start attending a Bible Study, start taking notes when the pastor is preaching and get involved in the ministry of the church, little by little, you will start growing in your walk with Christ and actually start to become more like Jesus.
“And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ” – Philippians 1:6
- It took Noah 120 years to finish building the Ark.
- Samuel to anoint David at a young age at the age of 17 to be king, but it wasn’t until he was 30 that David became King of Israel.
- When God sent Nehemiah and his crew to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem, it took them 52 days to complete the task.
- When the Apostle Paul was converted, he didn’t start preaching right away. But little by little, he spent at least three years in Arabia studying the word of God so he would be able to rightly dividing the word of truth, preaching the gospel truth of Jesus Christ.
So don’t worry if you’re not where you want to be. Just keep trusting God and moving forward little by little and He will lead you in to great things.
- Do you get frustrated by small steps?
- How can you take small practical steps to move forward?
- Think back to ten years ago, what changes are in your life that happened gradually?
Father, Thank You that You are transforming us little by little. Help us to keep pressing forward into Your plans, purposes and promises. Thank You for each small step that you bring us closer to You. In Jesus’ name, Amen