Today’s Reading: Numbers 30:1-31:54 (additional reading Psalm 63:1-117 and Proverbs 11:20-21)
Key Verse: “and anything else that can withstand fire must be put through the fire, and then it will be clean. But it must also be purified with the water of cleansing. And whatever cannot withstand fire must be put through that water.” Numbers 31:23
Hebrews 12:29 says ‘For our God is a consuming fire’ and it is from this part of His character that we read the following in today’s reading: ‘that is, all metals that do not burn—must be passed through fire in order to be made ceremonially pure. These metal objects must then be further purified with the water of purification. But everything that burns must be purified by the water alone.’ How much does this sound like what John the Baptist taught when he said, ‘I will baptise you with water, but another will come, greater then I and baptize you with fire.’
Everyone that is of God must go through the fire, from the Burning Bush that spoke to Moses that was not consumed to when fire rained down from heaven and to the moment it rested above the early church.
Every follower of God will have an experience with fire, because:
- Fire consumes — burns out the sinful and unnecessary “stuff” in our lives.
- Fire purifies — makes us clean and holy before God.
- Fire prepares (as in food) — makes us tasteful and pleasant to each other.
- Fire cheers — when we are caught in the cold grip of despair and discouragement, He cheers us on to victory.
- Fire softens — the Holy Spirit softens the heart of the sinner and he repents.
- Fire units — (as in uniting different kinds of metals) the Holy Spirit brings unity to the people of God.
- Fire empowers — “You shall receive power after that the Holy Spirit comes upon you.” (Acts 1:8).
When God’s people are of fire everything that we touch starts to heat up. We change the very atmosphere that we are in. Just like the fire in a lamp, brings light where there was darkness, when we are of fire, we make everything around us look different. The fire doesn’t only cleanse us, but also shines out from within us.
- Which other Bible verses can you think of that speaks of fire?
- What other characteristics of fire apply to the church?
Father, Thank You the You purify us as your people and also equip us to serve and shine for You. Help us to have an impact on our community for your glory. In Jesus’ name, Amen